Andy has finished the bench that I posted as a teaser awhile back. Here is the before as a reminder of the headboard and footboard we got at Habitat for Humanity for $15 (great price for solid wood!):
So Andy cut the foot board, then used his pocket hole jig a lot to drill holes into the wood:
And attached the sides to the headboard because our goal was to make a bench for the front porch!
Then he purchased some wood to build the seat:
The picture above also has shorter "legs" if you compare it to the picture above that. We sat on the bench and it was too tall - our feet were swinging like we were little kids. So we cut the bottoms of the legs a bit to make it a better height.
We had some oops paint, which is what we call the mistinted gallons at Lowe's that they sell for $5. We got a gallon of paint that said it was gray, but it was so dark it looked black. It was flat, but we had polyurethane we were going to use over it so that would lend the shine. Our front porch, where the bench is going is completely protected from the weather so we didn't worry about the paint not being weatherproof itself, especially since we were going to poly it. So Andy added the white as some accent:
Then after the poly, it got nice and shiny, and we moved it to the front porch:
The dark is a nice contrast because our house is a light gray:
The hook on the front door is missing the buckeye wreath because it was getting sprayed with poly since it was getting a little bug infestation. We wanted to try spraying it so we don't lose it because it required so much work to make, I don't think I'll ever make another!
So here's a little bigger shot panned out so you can see how it fits on our front porch!
Andy did an awesome job, and now there's a place to sit or set things down to get in the front door. And sorry, Mom Holderman, it took us so long to finish/post. I posted the teaser pic too long ago and she helped Andy finish by asking when she got to see the final project :) (And to give you an idea of how she gave Andy the final bump, she asked Sunday, and it was done Monday, posted for Wednesday!)